Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Heidenroeslein Analysis

The obvious contrast between the two videos of Heidenröslein is one is sung by a man and the other a woman. Another differences in the video is their sound quality. The live recording sung by Peter Schreier seems to have a poor sound quality when compared to the rendition sung by Barbara Bonney, maybe it is because it is live and not digitally recorded and it seems to be an older video. This I believe makes it more abstract because their is nothing added or taken away from the original sound of the singer himself. To me I related more to him because it allowed me to focus in more on his actually vocal abilities as a singer and catch mistakes if any in his rendition. He conveyed the text of the song well in the live recording and because his voice was more powerful in singing I believe it but more emphasis on what the original artist was trying to convey.

On the otherhand, the rendition of the song by Barbara Bonney was good as well but her voice was not as strong in certain parts of the song that I thought should of have more emphasis on them. The quality of the video was better than the live recording because it was digitally enhanced. By it being that way I believe it was easier to be able to catch mistakes in breathing and emphasis in the song that might not be as easy to catch in a live recording. Even though, I thought the live recording was better, the digital recording was more pleasant to the ears because it was less of a strain to hear. She also conveyed the text of the song well besides her many soft points in the selection. The one thing I would probably change about her version would be to switch it to a live recording as well to test how abstract she is as a singer live.

No comments:

Post a Comment